Page views

Thursday 14 July 2016

Senior Citizen, Chuks Osuji Appeals To Okorocha, Spare My Building, Orji Mechanic Village Demolished

 



A popular opinion analyst, Dr. Chuks Osuji, OON,FNIPR has appealed to the Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocah to spare his building.
  
Osuji was Imo State Director, defunct MAMSER.

 READ FULL TEXT OF THE PRESS STATEMENT




  PRESS STATEMENT
APPEAL TO THE GOVERNOR TO SPARE MY BUILDING
By: Dr. Chuks Osuji OON, FNIPR


On Friday 8th July 2016, OCDA staff came and marked my little building at No.54 Mbaise road by Amaram Street, ‘remove’ that is to be pulled down. Fortunately, in the evening of the same day and for three days running, His Excellency Owelle Rochas Okorocha in a broadcast confirm that he is not demolishing anybody’s building except fences and shanties that would constitute inhibition to ongoing face-lift of the State Capital. This means that the marking of my building “Remove 4M/ IN BY IMSG/OCDA” was an error because none of the buildings on the same line with my own was similarly marked except fences of those buildings. Secondly, this building which I erected 22 years ago when I had my sight and was active meets all statutory requirements; setback, approval by OCDA; no fencing; and on the same line with every other building around. This is where I carry out my Public Relations and communication function, employing some Imo Youths, Particularly National Youth Service Corp bound Corpers.


Today, I am a very senior citizen with full vision impairment, and national awards recipient giving to me by former President Olusegun Obasanjo in recognition of my contributions to the National Development particularly in the areas of Public Relations and Communication. If this house is pulled down, where will I go than to die? And my family will laugh at me with scorn, they will ask me, “did we not tell you that the country you love does not love you one bit?” As a very senior citizen in my early 80s, frail and weak, pulling this house will tantamount to sentencing me to death and my choice will be to allow the building to collapse on me if that is what the authority want.

 I plead and appeal to the governor to spare my building for the sake of humanitarianism and compassion. And appeal to the people of good conscience particularly to NUJ, National Association of Women Journalist, NBA Human Commission and many other men and women of conscience to help me appeal to his Excellency to spare my building. Because the erection does not contradict any structural requirements. I came home 36 years ago to help develop my society and I have paid my dues. I deserve no raw deal. It is important for the members of the public to know that after completing my Doctorate Degree in 1979 in US with a Major in International Relations focusing on the management of refugees in the Nigerian civil war I had a prospect of working as a director for United Nations High Commission on refugees in Nairobi Kenya and also prospect of professorial appointment in the United State.

But I did not pursue any of those options but preferred to come home to use my education in the service of my fatherland. Even with my vision impairment, I have written 24 books, 12 of which I wrote since I lost my sight if only to give credence a statement by former President Chief Obasanjo, “Dr Osuji, your are definitely a beacon of hope for physically challenged persons in our society.” Thus, until today I have remained resilient by overcoming obvious debilitating conditions. What I need is an encouragement and not to pull down my little building from where I have been serving the society in various ways. Therefore, I expect his Excellency Owelle Rochas Okorocha OON to harkens to the voice of reason and demonstrate unbroken chain of compassion in the present circumstance

In a related development, the ongoing demolition carried out by the Imo State government continued with the demolition of Orji mechanic village. The demolition according to eye witness account took place in the wee housr of Thursday, July 13, 2016. The mechanics had gone on protest on major streets of Owerri to oppose the demolition…

No comments:
Write comments